McFarland State
Historic Park

McFarland State Historic Park is a small historic park located in downtown Florence, Arizona on the corner of Main and Ruggles Streets. The park consists of a preserved courthouse and other buildings dating to the Arizona Territory period. The original structure was built in 1878 with the addition of a jail in 1882 and the courthouse in 1891. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. McFarland Park reopened February 2011 after repairs and renovations. It had been closed because of Arizona State Parks budget cuts. McFarland Park commemorates Ernest McFarland (1894-1984), who was successively a US Senator, Governor of Arizona, and Chief Justice of the Arizona Supreme Court. McFarland bought the old courthouse building in 1974, donated it to the state, and paid for…
0Star This
PrintiPhone App