Hoffman Island

Hoffman Island is a small (11 acre; 0.045 km²) artificial island in the Lower New York Bay, off South Beach, Staten Island. Another, smaller (4 acre; 0.016 km²) artificial island, Swinburne Island, lies immediately to the south. Created in 1873 upon the Orchard Shoals by the addition of landfill, the island is named for former New York City mayor (1866–1868) and New York Governor (1869–1871) John Thompson Hoffman. During the late 1800s and early 1900s, Hoffman (and Swinburne) Island was used as a quarantine station, housing immigrants who, upon their arrival at the immigrant inspection station at nearby Ellis Island, presented with symptoms of contagious disease(s).
0Star This
PrintiPhone App