LeHardys Rapids

Rapids at Outlet of Yellowstone Lake

Print Map
Lat 44.607285°NLon 110.383951°W

LeHardys Rapids span the width of the Yellowstone River and are located a short distance from the north outlet of Yellowstone Lake. They were named after Paul LeHardy, a topographer whose raft capsized here during the Jones Expedition of 1873. 

A short boardwalk leads from the highway down to the rapids, but it is closed in early spring to protect Harlequin habitat. These uniquely colored ducks can often be seen diving in the fast moving waters and eddies for food.

Written By